Sources to support conflict resolution: Bringing complaints forward

We receive many calls asking how to bring complaints forward. Sometimes there is an established process. Sometimes there is no formal process to bring a complaint forward. We work with you to determine the best way to bring a complaint forward in your circumstance.

I have a complaint about health services. Who do I contact?

The Patient Relations Department provides a service where patients, family members, and the public may express complaints about the health services they receive through Alberta Health Services (AHS).

I have a complaint about supportive living and long-term care accommodations. Who do I contact?

If you have concerns or complaints about accommodation standards not being followed, or about unlicensed supportive living settings providing accommodation and support services for 4 or more adults, you can report it. There is a process for making a complaint.

If you have concerns about abuse or safety of a person in publicly-funded care facilities you can contact Protection for Persons in Care.

Making a complaint can be difficult, especially if you are upset. Contact us for guidance about making a complaint.