The Alberta Government’s Ministry of Health and Alberta Health Services provide comprehensive information about the continuing care system.

Home Living: Care comes to you in your home

This independent living option is for you if you live in your own home (e.g., house, condominium, apartment) but need some health and personal support services.

Learn More About Home Living

Supportive Living: Supports provided in a communal setting

Supportive living combines accommodation and support services (e.g., meals, housekeeping). This living option is for you if your health needs are generally not complex and your personal supports are best provided for in a communal setting (4 or more residents).

Learn More About Supportive Living

Facility Living: Supports for complex health needs in a communal setting

Facility living is what is commonly called long-term care and includes facilities like nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals. This living option is for you if your health needs are complex and unpredictable; requiring 24 hour on site registered nurse assessment and monitoring.

Learn More About Facility Living

Challenges of communal living: special concerns of LGBTQ2S seniors.

It is important that all residents living in communal facilities feel accepted and respected. For older people who identify as LGBTQ2S (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning and Two-Spirit), the availability of inclusive care and housing is an emerging issue. Workshops are available to organizations recognizing the need to move toward creating inclusive spaces and affirming care for LGBTQ2S elders.

Learn More About LGBTQ2S Inclusiveness Workshops